I’ve gotten into a pattern of over-analyzing everything. It took me forever to write out our September menus. Our formula is pretty simple: one night of vegetarian, one night of red meat, one night of salmon. The rest usually turns out to be chicken. I was hoping to up the number of vegetarian meals this month, but instead I doubled up on red meat some weeks. That’s what happens when you over-analyze — often times, you move in reverse. Speaking of red meat, I made Slow Cooker Barbeque Beef Sandwiches from Southern Living tonight. Z ate four sandwiches with baked barbeque potato chips and cole slaw. The recipe is a keeper.
- 1 (3 1/2-pound) eye-of-round roast, cut in half vertically [I used a 2 and a 1/2 pounder from Carolina Grown of grass fed beef.]
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 (10-ounce) can condensed beef broth
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons steak sauce
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 12 Kaiser rolls or sandwich buns [I used whole wheat hamburger buns.]
- Dill pickle slices [Omitted. Z hates pickles.]
- Sprinkle beef evenly with 1 teaspoon salt.
- Stir together remaining 1 teaspoon salt, garlic, and next 7 ingredients. Pour half of mixture into a 5 1/2-quart slow cooker. Place beef in slow cooker, and pour remaining mixture over beef.
- Cover and cook on HIGH 7 hours.
- Shred beef in slow cooker with two forks. Serve in rolls or buns with dill pickle slices.
Here’s what we’re having for the next 28 days. [I still haven’t gotten a proper calendar.] Maybe I’ll do better at sharing recipes this month.
August 29 – Salmon, spinach and rice
August 30 – Veggie Sausage & Egg Burritos
August 31 – Stovetop Chicken Pie
September 1 – Pork Tenderloin Medallions with Balsamic Reduction
September 2 – Beef & Mushroom Sloppy Joes
September 3 – Out for Family Birthday Dinners
September 4 – Shrimp Fettucine Alfredo with Asparagus
September 5 – Grilled Bison Burgers with French Fries
September 6 – Salmon, Broccoli, Couscous
September 7 – Three Cheese Chicken Penne Florentine
September 8 – Chili with Guacamole and Chips [NFL Season Opener]
September 9 – Eat Out [Hopefully the new Mellow Mushroom!]
September 10 – Grilled Chicken Wraps
September 11 – Linguine with Two Cheese Sauce
September 12 – Mexicali Meatless Tostadas
September 13 – Creamy Chicken Salad
September 14 – Salmon, Asparagus and Rice
September 15 – Grilled Flank Steak with Onion, Avocado and Tomato
September 16 – Pizza and Beer at the Midnight Madness 5K
September 17 – Chicken and Black Bean Stuffed Burritos
September 18 – Spaghetti
September 19 – Wild Mushroom Stroganoff
September 20 – Chipotle Rubbed Flank Steak
September 21 – Chicken & Bacon Roll-ups
September 22 – Salmon, Brussel Sprouts, Red Potatoes
September 23 – Chicken Strips with Blue Cheese Dressing
September 24 – Chicken Tostadas & Avocado Dressing
September 25 – Lasagna
Should Just Give Up Reading: The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin
Training Log: I used Hurricane Irene as an excuse to sleep a lot this weekend.
Days Until: College Football: 6; NFL: 11; NHL: 46